912 Manhattan Ave #D | Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 | kirk (at) icapsolutions.com | 310.779.3744
High-performance Senior IT Professional with 20+ years of professional experience in software development, database development and administration, Linux administration, network design and administration, web application development and maintenance, and E-mail distribution systems.
- Strong background in developing, implementing and administering LAMP applications and processes (Linux, Apache/mod_perl, MySql, Perl), with HTML template strategies (i.e., Template::Toolkit, etc.).
- Linux administrator with network design experience and support, customized tools development and knowledgeable in all major internet protocols.
- Experienced with design and development of MTA e-mail distribution servers and processes.
- Proficient in planning and executing object-oriented systems and building stand-alone PERL programs and scripts in Unix environments.
- Thorough understanding and advocate of object-oriented programming.
|Unix Server Admin||Project Management||Database Devel/Admin|
|OO Programming||System Architecture||Specialized Tool Design|
|Web Applications/Servers||Network Design||End User Training|
|Platforms:||Linux (Fedora, Red Hat), UNIX, Microsoft Workstation & Server|
|Applications/Protocols:||Apache, QMAIL, PowerMTA, DNS, NFS, SSH, SAMBA, CVS, FTP, HTTP, SNMP, Remote Access Servers, RADIUS|
|Databases:||MySql, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle|
|Web Applications:||Dreamweaver, WebSphere, Web Editors|
LEAD ENGINEER – Manhattan Beach, CA (2006 – Present)
As Lead Engineer, returned a crippled niche market on-line job board site to a fully functioning and successful business. The architecture is comprised of over 2 dozen Unix servers, dozens of applications and protocols, as well as self managing standalone and cron scripts. All aspects of the system architecture and functionality were redesigned and streamlined to produce a more flexible and manageable product, resulting in a job board that is currently the largest and most successful niche site on the web.
- Redesigned a multi server architecture from the ground up, installing OS (Redhat and Fedora), network and site specific applications.
- Streamlined code and applications to perform with minimum server resources maximizing front end performance.
- Created private administrative front end for complete control of product, including monitoring and display of system critical components, alarm system, billing and notification system.
- Developed large scale email distribution service for client contact requirements.
INDEPENDENT SYSTEMS ENGINEER – Manhattan Beach, CA (2003 – 2006)
Designed, developed and implemented system architectures including multi-node cluster applications requiring networking and system monitoring and maintenance. Solely designed, developed and implemented a large scale e-mail distribution system comprised of a cluster of Linux nodes and under the management of a central data base and management interface. Hosted complete systems, providing development and staging platforms for virtual web hosting, custom Perl/CGI/DBI programming, DNS services, QMAIL and MTA implementations, database design/warehouse, and customized service tools. Manager of code control utilizing CVS application and practices.
- Spearheaded long-term projects including design of on-line web site and web “wizard” for automated marketing and campaign engine.
- Development and maintenance of complex Apache/mod_perl/Mysql systems for legal (Lawyer) services
- Design and deployment of complex multi node MTA e-mail distribution system, complete with front end web admin tool and back end management access.
- Facilitated numerous short-term projects, coordinating hosting companies, customizing program implementations, creating databases, and providing consulting services.
SE, S/W DEVELOPER – FAIRISAAC, IRVINE CA (2002)
Charged with designing and administering proprietary EDI application (Claimport), providing on-line web interface for the insurance industry. Directly accountable for entire functionality of application including all development, management, and maintenance of Linux, and version control (CVS). Analyze, define and execute new customer requirements. Coordinate QA procedures and schedules for production code rollout.
- Ensure optimal performance of EDI application, consisting of hundreds of Perl modules and hosted by RH Linux with Apache, by utilizing Informix database backend and client-server application plug-in.
SE, S/W Developer – Nebula Software, Pasadena, CA 2001
Developed, configured, and installed automated registration process in a large Apache/Mod_Perl, Oracle, and MYSQL database. Worked in a Linux environment utilizing, standard Perl packages and custom Perl object-oriented modules. Integrated HTML templates as well as designed new Perl packages and object modules to fit into existing Apache/Mod_Perl architecture.
Built several large script/program files and packages to extract, manipulate, and insert data into a large RDBMS model from flat text, dbf, and standard formats.
SE, S/W Developer – Rotor Inc., Hollywood, CA 2000
Directed, guided and coordinated activities of developers and QA technicians, leading several projects in Unix environments. Rendered DBA backup and support services including complete implementation of data restructure in Oracle. Assisted developers with troubleshooting and fine-tuning, engaging in data extraction, manipulation, and storage of live real-time log files.
- Planned and executed several Perl software solutions for distributed interactive systems.
- Created backend applications including Perl, Java scripting, Oracle, and web front-end interfaces.
- Developed a platform for system testing which included a web interface, interactive system control, client server port communication, and historical data mapping.
System Engineer – TRW, Redondo Beach, CA 1985 – 1999
Fully responsible for all hardware and software design, testing, troubleshooting and user support for private remote access system. Configured and installed hardware, including multiple network access servers, routers and all LAN-related equipment. Developed software solutions for customized front-end/back-office web interface. Facilitated custom web interface providing tools for customers and administration. Analyzed and reviewed network activities including various protocol for distributed and point-to-point technologies. Provided support to nearly 4,000 clients.
Demonstrated expertise in management of software systems including Microsoft’s architecture, ODBC, SQL, Oracle, RADIUS, ASP, Perl, CGI, SNMP, and 3rd party vendor products.
Education / Training
B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering – California State University Long Beach, California
- MCSEMicrosoft Certified Systems Engineer
- Oracle RDBMS
Additional: Security Clearance and EBI Secret Clearance (Issued Nov. 1995)