Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 | kirk (at) icapsolutions.com
Here’s a little insight as to what I’m capable of doing, resumes seem to get lost in translation. Experience, with a bit of personality and professional relationships is where you will find someone like me …
I have many years of experience as a DevOps System Engineer, Software Development, Database Development and Administration, as well as a Unix System Administrator. I know what it takes to make excruciatingly difficult and detailed projects come to life. If you have a web product, an online service (think SaaS related, etc.), even if you’re just thinking of something to build, I’m the one you’re looking for. Anyone can throw together an impressive resume, that’s just a quick google cut/paste away, but how many can make this claim:
I solely conceived, developed, and launched my own online email marketing service back in the early 2000’s. There was a tremendous need for sending bulk commercial and corporate marketing material to clients, and since I was/am an email (MTA) expert, it seemed reasonable to create one from scratch. It’s brief history is actually a long story, and unfortunately it fizzled out after a few short years. The ultimate demise of my product was the likes of ConstantContact, whom of course had investors and steamrolled the competition because of it. I thought at the time to find investors of my own, roll up the sleeves and go to battle. I had several close friends who offered some of the funding, but at the time I was starting a family and already had my first child with another one on the way. It seemed too risky at the time with everything else going on in my life so I just let it roll organically. It did managed to attract several clients, mostly small, made at one point a few thousand per month just enough to support the cost of the colo facility and equipment. Eventually, business went to the heavy hitting competitors and the plug had to be pulled.
The model I developed was a fully functioning, scalable, self managing online email marketing service. The base configuration comprised of 4 servers:
server 1 – the web front end (Apache2, mod_perl2 API)
server 2 – the database (MySql – MariaDB)
server 3 – the primary mail server (qmail – customized outbound MTA)
server 4 – bounce processor and image server (good ol Linux and Perl)
The scalability comes with server 3, those qmail servers can be added to the mix as the custom install allows for multi node, multi domain and distribution options based on traffic flow.
I still have it, it lives on a single server in my office and is online, limited of course because I cant have anyone sign up and send 3 million emails … that wouldn’t be good. I think the signup process and client pages are in fact accessible, it even send out mailers but I believe I have it stop at 10 or 20, something like that anyway.
I haven’t worked on it for some time now, the front end is a bit rough and is – in my view – still in the prototype phase. Just recently my son who takes an art class is making use of his newly acquired skills and is adding some fun looking graphics and learning a bit about web pages, templates, etc. He’s already posted up his first image on the home page which I thought was cool, and he’s making a few others which will soon be added header and several other pages. Eventually all the images will be replaced with his work, I’m just letting him run with it.
Prior to that, I worked for TRW (now Northrop) for 15 years as an engineer in the communications department. I did everything from drafting plans for their underground wiring system, CADCAM design, project management, software development, system administration, etc. My employment their is an even longer story, very boring looking back, but I took away some great fundamentals which allowed me to go it on my own as an independent IT consultant.
I’m currently working with an online job board called SalesJobs.com which is yet another extremely complicated system. I’ve been with this job for over 10 years (since 2006) and it’s been a really great experience. It had, when I first came on board, over 20+ servers all performing as a “sort-of” cloud. It wasn’t really, but over the years I’ve managed to consolidate all of that down to just a few larger more robust servers. I do everything with this system … and I mean everything. I purchase the servers, have them sent to my office (did I mention I have my own office?), load the OS (Fedora), load the supporting applications, install the custom programs and services, test, then send to our colo facility where it is plugged in and readied for cutover. I’ve done this so many times that I could almost do it in my sleep. I write all the code, make all the updates, solve all the problems, everything. But it’s time to move on, to start a new chapter with someone or some service that needs expertise and experience, my next long term relationship.
I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, been around for a long time, I know a few things to say the least. I am not an expert in everything, if someone claims they’re are, I will show you a liar. I am however, fairly clever and can figure out most if not any problem situation, I can certainly read/write code in many flavors, and most if not all other accompanying layers of protocols.
High-performance Senior IT Professional with 20+ years of professional experience in software development, database development and administration, Linux administration, network design and administration, web application development and maintenance, and E-mail distribution systems – DevOps.
- Strong background in developing, implementing and administering LAMP applications and processes (Linux, Apache/mod_perl, MySql, Perl), with HTML template strategies (i.e., Template::Toolkit, etc.).
- Linux administrator with network design experience and support, customized tools development and knowledgeable in all major internet protocols.
- Experienced with design and development of MTA e-mail distribution servers and processes.
- Proficient in planning and executing object-oriented methods as well as producing stand-alone Perl programs and scripts in Unix environments.
- Thorough understanding and advocate of object-oriented programming.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools.
- Experience with a wide variety of systems and IT operations.
- Comfortable with with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment.
- Strong grasp of automation tools.
- Data management skills.
- A strong focus on business outcomes.
- Comfortable with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders.
|Unix Server Admin||Project Management||Database Devel/Admin|
|OO Programming||System Architecture||Specialized Tool Design|
|Web Applications/Servers||Network Design||End User Training|
|Platforms:||Linux (Fedora, Red Hat), UNIX, Microsoft Workstation & Server|
|Applications/Protocols:||Apache, QMAIL, PowerMTA, DNS, NFS, SSH, SAMBA, CVS, FTP, HTTP, SNMP, Remote Access Servers, RADIUS|
|Databases:||MySql, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle|
|Web Applications:||Dreamweaver, WebSphere, Web Editors|
SalesJobs.com – CTO / DevOps System Administrator – Manhattan Beach, CA (2006 – Present)
As CTO and Lead Engineer, returned a crippled niche market on-line job board site to a fully functioning and successful business. The architecture is comprised of over 2 dozen Unix servers, dozens of applications and protocols, as well as self managing standalone and cron scripts. All aspects of the system architecture and functionality were redesigned and streamlined to produce a more flexible and manageable product, resulting in a job board that is currently the largest and most successful niche site on the web.
- Redesigned a multi server architecture from the ground up, installing OS (Redhat and Fedora), network and site specific applications.
- Streamlined code and applications to perform with minimum server resources maximizing front end performance.
- Created private administrative front end for complete control of product, including monitoring and display of system critical components, alarm system, billing and notification system.
- Developed large scale email distribution service for client contact requirements.
Independent System Engineer – Manhattan Beach, CA (2003 – 2006)
Designed, developed and implemented system architectures including multi-node cluster applications requiring networking and system monitoring and maintenance. Solely designed, developed and implemented a large scale e-mail distribution system comprised of a cluster of Linux nodes and under the management of a central data base and management interface. Hosted complete systems, providing development and staging platforms for virtual web hosting, custom Perl/CGI/DBI programming, DNS services, QMAIL and MTA implementations, database design/warehouse, and customized service tools. Manager of code control utilizing CVS application and practices.
- Spearheaded long-term projects including design of on-line web site and web “wizard” for automated marketing and campaign engine.
- Development and maintenance of complex Apache/mod_perl/Mysql systems for legal (Lawyer) services
- Design and deployment of complex multi node MTA e-mail distribution system, complete with front end web admin tool and back end management access.
- Facilitated numerous short-term projects, coordinating hosting companies, customizing program implementations, creating databases, and providing consulting services.
SE, S/W Developer – FairIsaac, Irvine CA (2002)
Charged with designing and administering proprietary EDI application (Claimport), providing on-line web interface for the insurance industry. Directly accountable for entire functionality of application including all development, management, and maintenance of Linux, and version control (CVS). Analyze, define and execute new customer requirements. Coordinate QA procedures and schedules for production code rollout.
- Ensure optimal performance of EDI application, consisting of hundreds of Perl modules and hosted by RH Linux with Apache, by utilizing Informix database backend and client-server application plug-in.
SE, S/W Developer – Nebula Software, Pasadena, CA 2001
Developed, configured, and installed automated registration process in a large Apache/Mod_Perl, Oracle, and MYSQL database. Worked in a Linux environment utilizing, standard Perl packages and custom Perl object-oriented modules. Integrated HTML templates as well as designed new Perl packages and object modules to fit into existing Apache/Mod_Perl architecture.
- Built several large script/program files and packages to extract, manipulate, and insert data into a large RDBMS model from flat text, dbf, and standard formats.
SE, S/W Developer – Rotor Inc., Hollywood, CA 2000
Directed, guided and coordinated activities of developers and QA technicians, leading several projects in Unix environments. Rendered DBA backup and support services including complete implementation of data restructure in Oracle. Assisted developers with troubleshooting and fine-tuning, engaging in data extraction, manipulation, and storage of live real-time log files.
- Planned and executed several Perl software solutions for distributed interactive systems.
- Created backend applications including Perl, Java scripting, Oracle, and web front-end interfaces.
- Developed a platform for system testing which included a web interface, interactive system control, client server port communication, and historical data mapping.
System Engineer – TRW, Redondo Beach, CA 1985 – 1999
Fully responsible for all hardware and software design, testing, troubleshooting and user support for private remote access system. Configured and installed hardware, including multiple network access servers, routers and all LAN-related equipment. Developed software solutions for customized front-end/back-office web interface. Facilitated custom web interface providing tools for customers and administration. Analyzed and reviewed network activities including various protocol for distributed and point-to-point technologies. Provided support to nearly 4,000 clients.
- Demonstrated expertise in management of software systems including Microsoft’s architecture, ODBC, SQL, Oracle, RADIUS, ASP, Perl, CGI, SNMP, and 3rd party vendor products.
Education / Training
B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering – California State University Long Beach, California
- MCSE Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
- Oracle RDBMS
Additional: Security Clearance and EBI Secret Clearance (Issued Nov. 1995)