Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 | kirk (at) icapsolutions.com
High-performance Senior IT Professional with 30+ years of professional experience in AWS Cloud computing, software development, database development, Linux and database administration, network design and administration, hardware installation, web application development and maintenance, and email distribution systems (MTA, Qmail).
- Strong background with AWS Clod Computing, implemented services within AWS cloud environment including EC2, S3, RedShift, MySql, API Gateway, Kinesis/Firehose, Lambda, CloudWatch, IAM, SQS, VPC, OpenVPN, Glacier, Route 53, Cognito, SNS, SQS, SES, CD/CI methods, designing administrative support tools and knowledgeable in all major Internet protocols.
- Strong background in developing, implementing and administering LAMP applications and processes (Linux, Apache2/mod_perl2, MySql/MariaDB, Perl, PHP), with HTML template strategies (i.e., Template::Toolkit, etc.)
- Linux system and network administrator, network design experience, hardware and software design and support as well as hardware installation.
- Expert with design and development of MTA email distribution servers and processes (Qmail).
- Proficient in planning and executing object-oriented methods as well as stand-alone programs and shell scripts in Unix environments.
- Thorough understanding and advocate of object-oriented programming.
- Knowledgeable in SEO strategies and implementation.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools.
- Experience with a wide variety of systems and IT operations.
- Comfortable with with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment.
- Strong grasp of automation tools.
- Data management skills.
- A strong focus on business outcomes.
- Comfortable with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders.
Twinedata.com – DevOps System Administrator – Los Angeles, CA (Sept 2017 – Present)
Twinedata is an Ad tech company which compiles mobile data, providing publishers and marketers data monetization, insights, and effective marketing.
- Responsible for AWS Cloud management and budget, reducing the monthly cost of service and saving the company 30K. This included S3 lifecycle adjustments, API Gateway throttling, EC2 management, RedShift cluster reduction and tuning, and tuning many other services.
- Redesigned an API gateway to remove cost prohibitive layer, increasing throughput and utilizing methods to increase security. This included removal of the API Gateway layer itself and replacing the entire process with a data stream from end to end. Cognito user pools and Federated Id’s provided the security layer for the SDK’s, direct data streams provided the method for data Ingestion from end to end.
- Introduced OpenVPN to provide and support AWS Best Practices with respect to service access. MFA + OpenVPN are both used to create a secured and compliant architecture.
- Supporting all employees – engineers, business development, sales and marketing – with day to day support and challenges, along with providing general guidance of architecture and design, utilizing dozens of AWS services, providing AWS best practices and solutions.
Technologies Used: EC2, S3, RedShift, MySql, API Gateway, Kinesis/Firehose, Lambda, CloudWatch, IAM, SQS, VPC, OpenVPN, Glacier, Route 53, Cognito, SNS, SQS, SES.
SalesJobs.com – CTO / DevOps System Administrator – Manhattan Beach, CA (2006 – Aug 2017)
As the CTO and System Administrator, returned a crippled niche market job board site to a fully functioning and successful business. The architecture was comprised of over 2 dozen Unix servers, dozens of applications and protocols, as well as self managing standalone and cron scripts. All aspects of the system architecture and functionality were redesigned and streamlined to produce a more flexible and manageable product, resulting in a job board that is currently the largest and most successful niche employment site on the web.
All servers are connected in a private LAN network as well as available to the public on the appropriate NIC and ports (80, 443, 22, etc). The service included Apache2 web servers (V2.4), Apache::ASP and Apache2/mod_perl2 front end API utilizing modern OO methods, MySQL/MariaDB databases in a master/slave configuration as well as backups, DNS servers configured as primary and secondary (DJBDNS), access servers providing customers with customized XML and Restful API feeds, multiple email servers (MTA) using DJB Qmail in a multi-node, multi-domain, channelized configuration. All servers are protected with firewalls both at the server level with restrictive iptables rules as well as the colo routers firewall (port specific access).
Over the years I’ve managed to consolidate all hardware to just a few larger more robust Sun Microsystems M4 servers, all running Fedora 24 OS. Most recently I’ve pushed the service into the AWS cloud infrastructure using EC2 and RDS instances, developing and implementing strategies for CD/CI using AWS CodeDeploy, CodePipeline and S3. I manage and maintain all aspects of this service, managing AWS frontend technologies, hardware purchasing and upgrades, initializing OS instances, loading all supporting Linux core applications, installing custom application programs and services, testing, sending to the colo facility where it is plugged in and readied for cutover. I write all the code, performing all the updates, troubleshoot all the problems, as well as implementing new concepts, code and techniques along the way.
- Redesigned a multi server architecture from the ground up, installing OS (Redhat and Fedora), network and site specific applications.
- Streamlined code and applications to perform with minimum server resources maximizing front end performance.
- Created private administrative front end for complete control of product, including monitoring and display of system critical components, alarm system, billing and notification system.
- Relocated service into AWS cloud infrastructure utilizing constant development, constant integration methods (CI/CD), managing EC2 and RDS instances.
- Developed large scale email distribution service (qmail) for client contact requirements.
Independent System Engineer – Manhattan Beach, CA (2003 – 2006)
Designed, developed and implemented web application services including multi-node clusters requiring networking and system monitoring and maintenance. Solely designed, developed and implemented a large scale e-mail distribution system comprised of a cluster of Linux nodes and under the management of a central data base and management interface. Hosted complete systems, providing development and staging platforms for virtual web hosting, custom Perl/CGI/DBI programming, DNS services, QMAIL and MTA implementations, database design/warehouse, and customized service tools. Manager of code control utilizing CVS application and practices.
- Spearheaded long-term projects including design of on-line web site and web “wizard” for automated marketing and campaign engine.
- Development and maintenance of complex Apache/mod_perl/Mysql systems for legal (Lawyer) services
- Design and deployment of complex multi node MTA e-mail distribution system, complete with front end web admin tool and back end management access.
- Facilitated numerous short-term projects, coordinating hosting companies, customizing program implementations, creating databases, and providing consulting services.
SE, S/W Developer – FairIsaac, Irvine CA (2002)
Charged with designing and administering proprietary EDI application (Claimport), providing on-line web interface for the insurance industry. Directly accountable for entire functionality of application including all development, management, and maintenance of Linux, and version control (CVS). Analyze, define and execute new customer requirements. Coordinate QA procedures and schedules for production code rollout.
- Ensure optimal performance of EDI application, consisting of hundreds of Perl modules and hosted by RH Linux with Apache, by utilizing Informix database backend and client-server application plug-in.
SE, S/W Developer – Nebula Software, Pasadena, CA 2001
Developed, configured, and installed automated registration process in a large Apache/Mod_Perl, Oracle, and MYSQL database. Worked in a Linux environment utilizing, standard Perl packages and custom Perl object-oriented modules. Integrated HTML templates as well as designed new Perl packages and object modules to fit into existing Apache/Mod_Perl architecture.
- Built several large script/program files and packages to extract, manipulate, and insert data into a large RDBMS model from flat text, dbf, and standard formats.
SE, S/W Developer – Rotor Inc., Hollywood, CA 2000
Directed, guided and coordinated activities of developers and QA technicians, leading several projects in Unix environments. Rendered DBA backup and support services including complete implementation of data restructure in Oracle. Assisted developers with troubleshooting and fine-tuning, engaging in data extraction, manipulation, and storage of live real-time log files.
- Planned and executed several Perl software solutions for distributed interactive systems.
- Created backend applications including Perl, Java scripting, Oracle, and web front-end interfaces.
- Developed a platform for system testing which included a web interface, interactive system control, client server port communication, and historical data mapping.
System Engineer – TRW, Redondo Beach, CA 1985 – 1999
Fully responsible for all hardware and software design, testing, troubleshooting and user support for private remote access system. Configured and installed hardware, including multiple network access servers, routers and all LAN-related equipment. Developed software solutions for customized front-end/back-office web interface. Facilitated custom web interface providing tools for customers and administration. Analyzed and reviewed network activities including various protocol for distributed and point-to-point technologies. Provided support to nearly 4,000 clients.
- Demonstrated expertise in management of software systems including Microsoft’s architecture, ODBC, SQL, Oracle, RADIUS, ASP, Perl, CGI, SNMP, and 3rd party vendor products.
Education / Training
B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering – California State University Long Beach, California
- MCSE Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
- Oracle RDBMS
Additional: Security Clearance and EBI Secret Clearance (Issued Nov. 1995)