Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 | kirk (at) icapsolutions.com
Senior IT Professional with 30+ years of experience: AWS cloud computing, software development, database development, Linux administration, network architecture and design, hardware installation, web application development and maintenance, and email distribution systems.
Twine Data – Los Angeles, CA (Sept 2017 – Present)
Sr DevOps Engineer
Twinedata is an Ad Tech company which compiles mobile data, providing publishers and marketers with data monetization, insights, and effective marketing.
- Responsible for AWS Cloud management and budget, considerably reducing the monthly cost of service. This included S3 lifecycle adjustments, API Gateway throttling, Mobile SDK redesign, EC2 management, RedShift cluster reduction and tuning, Kinesis data stream management, and many other services.
- Redesigned an API gateway cost prohibitive layer, replacing it with an SDK/Kinesis/Firehose/S3/DB direct pipeline which improved performance and security while reducing overall cost. This direct data stream pipeline provides the method for data Ingestion from SDK App to DB end-to-end.
- Implemented a VPN architecture to provide a secured environment enforcing AWS best practices. Introduced OpenVPN + MFA to create a secured and compliant architecture, including multi VPC Peering connections, VPC Endpoints, routing table adjustments, public and private subnet management, and applying strict security group firewall constraints.
- Introduced Chef for configuration management, pulling legacy nodes into the environment for maintenance and distribution.
- Supporting all employees – engineers, business office, sales team – with day to day support and challenges, along with providing general guidance of architecture and design, utilizing dozens of AWS services.Technologies Used: CloudFront, Chef, EC2, S3, RedShift, MySql, DynamoDB, API Gateway, Kinesis/Firehose, Lambda, CloudWatch, IAM, SQS, VPC, OpenVPN, Glacier, Route 53, Cognito, SNS, SES.
SalesJobs.com – Manhattan Beach, CA (2006 – 2017)
CTO / Principal DevOps Engineer
SalesJobs, a boutique job search company based in San Francisco, specialized in both placing sales candidates in jobs and supplying corporations with a platform to advertise online sales positions. As the Principal DevOps Engineer:
- Completely revamped a dysfunctional and broken job board site to a fully functioning and successful business. Sales Jobs website architecture comprised of over 2 dozen Unix servers, dozens of applications and protocols, as well as self managing standalone and cron scripts. All aspects of the system architecture and functionality were redesigned and streamlined to produce a more flexible and streamlined job search website to be one of the top competing job boards.
- Responsible for all services and applications including Apache2 web servers (V2.4), Apache::ASP and Apache2/mod_perl2 front end API utilizing modern OO methods, MySQL/MariaDB databases in a master/slave configuration as well as backups, DNS servers configured as primary and secondary (DJBDNS), access servers providing customers with customized XML and Restful API feeds, multiple email servers (MTA) using DJB Qmail in a multi-node, multi-domain, channelized configuration. Set up firewalls to protect servers with restrictive iptables rules as well as the colo routers firewall (port specific access).
- Consolidated hardware to more robust Sun Microsystems M4 servers running Fedora OS. Transferred the service to an AWS cloud infrastructure using EC2 and RDS instances, developing and implementing strategies for CD/CI using AWS CodeDeploy, CodePipeline and S3. Managed and maintained all aspects of this service, managing AWS front end technologies, loading all supporting Linux core applications, installing custom application programs and services and testing. Responsible for all code, performed all updates, troubleshot all problems, as well as implemented new concepts and techniques. Streamlined code and applications to perform with minimum server resources maximizing front end performance.
- Developed large scale email distribution service for client contact requirements. Created private administrative front end for complete control of product, including monitoring and display of system critical components, alarm system, billing and notification system.Technologies Used: EC2, S3, MySql, API Gateway, Lambda, CloudWatch, IAM, VPC, Route 53, Linux, Sql/RDBMS, Oracle, RADIUS, ASP, PERL, CGI, SNMP and Fedora; Qmail – MTA email distribution servers and processes; Object-oriented programs; SEO strategies;
Independent System Engineer – March 2002 – Sept 2006
DoublePrime Inc: Sept 2005 – Sept 2006
Port Blue Inc: May 2003 – Aug 2005
Matab: April 2002 – March 2003
Designed, developed and implemented system architectures including multi-node cluster applications requiring networking and system monitoring and maintenance. Solely designed, developed and implemented a large scale email distribution system comprised of a cluster of Linux nodes and under the management of a central data base and management interface. Hosted complete systems, providing development and staging platforms for virtual web hosting, custom Perl/CGI/DBI programming, DNS services, QMAIL and MTA implementations, database design/warehouse, and customized service tools. Manager of code control utilizing CVS application and practices.
- Development and maintenance of complex Apache/mod_perl/Mysql systems for legal (Lawyer) services
- Design and deployment of complex multi node MTA email distribution system, complete with front end web admin tool and back end management access.
- Facilitated numerous short-term projects, coordinating hosting companies, customizing program implementations, creating databases, and providing consulting services.
FairIsaac, Irvine CA (2002)
Charged with designing and administering proprietary EDI application (Claimport), providing on-line web interface for the insurance industry. Directly accountable for entire functionality of application including all development, management, and maintenance of Linux, and version control (CVS). Analyze, define and execute new customer requirements. Coordinate QA procedures and schedules for production code rollout.
- Ensure optimal performance of EDI application, consisting of hundreds of Perl modules and hosted by RH Linux with Apache, by utilizing Informix database backend and client-server application plug-in.
CitySearch, Pasadena, CA 2001
Developed, configured, and installed automated registration process in a large Apache/Mod_Perl, Oracle, and MYSQL database. Worked in a Linux environment utilizing, standard Perl packages and custom Perl object-oriented modules. Integrated HTML templates as well as designed new Perl packages and object modules to fit into existing Apache/Mod_Perl architecture.
- Built several large script/program files and packages to extract, manipulate, and insert data into a large RDBMS model from flat text, dbf, and standard formats.
Rotor Inc., Hollywood, CA 2000
Directed, guided and coordinated activities of developers and QA technicians, leading several projects in Unix environments. Rendered DBA backup and support services including complete implementation of data restructure in Oracle. Assisted developers with troubleshooting and fine-tuning, engaging in data extraction, manipulation, and storage of live real-time log files.
- Planned and executed several Perl software solutions for distributed interactive systems.
- Created backend applications including Perl, Java scripting, Oracle, and web front-end interfaces.
- Developed a platform for system testing which included a web interface, interactive system control, client server port communication, and historical data mapping.
TRW (now Northrop), Redondo Beach, CA 1985 – 1999
As an engineer assigned to the company wide communications group, fully responsible for all hardware and software design, testing, troubleshooting and user support for private local network, supporting all voice and data communications including video. The network comprised of a large LAN/WAN topology and included approximately 20+ buildings of which was called “Space Park”. Our group performed all voice and data installation and and maintenance tasks as well as provided direction for new technologies. Configured and installed hardware, including multiple network access servers, routers and all LAN-related equipment. Developed software solutions for customized front-end/back-office web interface. Facilitated custom web interface providing tools for customers and administration. Analyzed and reviewed network activities including various protocol for distributed and point-to-point technologies. Provided support to nearly 4,000 clients.
Telephony Network- Installed and maintained the telephony system and provided connectivity from the MDF (main distribution frame) and everything in between (cross connects in the MDF and communication closets as well as T1 access from building to building) to the phone at the employee desk.
Data Network – Provided all data communication needs, LAN installation for local building networking as well as WAN connectivity from building to building using Cisco routers, switches, bridges, and T1/T3 communication links (Timeplex Multiplexers). I was specifically assigned to the Timeplex Multiplexer equipment as well as the Ascend ISDN routers, providing point to point connectivity from building to building along with many other responsibilities.
I was with TRW for 15 years, I have a very long list of accomplishments but eventually left the company under my terms and with a stellar reputation.
- Demonstrated expertise in management of software systems including Linux, Sql/RDBMS, Oracle, RADIUS, ASP, Perl, CGI, SNMP, and 3rd party vendor products.
Education / Training
B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering – California State University Long Beach, CA
- MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)
- Oracle RDBMS
Additional: Security Clearance and EBI Secret Clearance (Issued Nov. 1995)